// BRUTALLY HONEST: BILLY WAGNER (NOBELHART & SCHMUTZIG)
Billy Wagner co-owns the Nobelhart & Schmutzig restaurant in Kreuzberg, which rocked its way into the Guide Michelin just a few months after opening. His vision is to introduce his guests into the huge range of products available in and around Berlin. For him, it as a personal duty to support local producers, saving those amazing products from being forgotten - or staying unknown. "Vocally local" you might say. An evening with him starts NOBEL (noble), then gets HART (hard) in the middle and SCHMUTZIG (dirty) towards the end! Oh yes...
We love Billy for being a little bit eccentric, 100% authentic, and heartfully enthusiastic about good produce. He's totally shaken up the Berlin wine scene, being a repeat winner of Sommelier of the Year - and clearly one of the more outspoken gastro-hosts in the country 🙂 Whatever the situation, if there's something tasty in that bottle, he's on board. Except tequila. He can't stand tequila...
At this year’s Stadt Land Food festival (see No.6 in our events guide), Billy is the curator of the wine program (surprise), making sure that you get to relish the finest wines of the region. He’s also climbing on stage for 2 seminars, and is one of the 24 restaurateurs dishing up a special Stadt Land Food Menu until Sunday (more info at the bottom).
Favorite place in Berlin:
Berghain on Sunday in winter and Werbellin See on Sunday in summer
Favorite ingredient at the moment:
Favorite local supplier:
Olaf Schnelle (Schnelles Grünzeug)
// MR. WAGNER, IT's TIME TO TALK...
What are the 3 most important things that you want people to see in you and your work?
I want that they relax, that they are not hungry, and a little bit drunk...
What’s your favorite meal to cook and why?
I cook very simple. Mostly local and seasonal vegetables, well prepared. As in the restaurant.
But - I use lemon… (= not brutally local)
And what’s your favorite meal to eat and why 🙂 ?
Steak and Sauce Choron. Meat, Fat, Acid - perfect combination.
When did you try something new the last time - and what was it?
Fruit wine (Rhubarb) last year. And cold brew at Blue Bottle Coffee in SanFran – Best ever!
What do you believe in, that other people think is crazy?
Being honest and straight forward, always!
Tell us something that people don’t know about you that would surprise them?
I sleep sometimes as well. Even in Berlin…
Appreciating the good things in life is important. Share with us 3 things that you are grateful for:
My Girlfriend. My Staff. My Restaurant.
If you could change one thing in Berlin to make it greener within 24 hours, what would you do?
Paint our house 🙂
Choose the answer that spontaneously resonates with you most
a/ Beef Burger or Buckwheat Salad
b/ Bicycle or U-Bahn
c/ Bio Company or Farmer’s Market
d/ Urban garden or vertical farm?
What question should we have asked you but didn’t?
What comes next… - A bakery, and we’re moving to the countryside.
Last word: Anything you want to pass on to the GreenMe Berlin community?
>> "Fass dein Essen mal wieder an" ==> Start touching your food again!
// WHAT's BILLY UP TO THIS WEEK:
- "Stadt Land Food Menu" - 26th September to 2nd October
- 24 of Berlins most exciting restaurants created a special menu, choosing one local producer to put into the spotlight throughout the week ==> chef meets producer !
- Restaurants include Cookies Cream, einsunternull, HORVÁTH, Lode & Stijn, Michelberger, Nudo, Spindler, VOLT and many more (full list & list of producers)
- Book your table directly with the restaurant & be part of something unique, celebrating the farmers and amazing products of our region!
- "Werkstatt Wein" (Wine workshop) at Stadt Land Food festival - 1st to 3rd October
- One of the 11 workshop areas to learn about artisanal food production
- Billy curates the full program & shares his knowledge in 2 seminars // Sat (1.30pm) & Sun (1pm)
- Location: Galerie Einundzwanzigzwölf, Lausitzerplatz 1, 10997 Berlin-Kreuzberg
- Times: Sat & Sun 10am-6pm, Mon 10am-5pm
// OTHERWISE, FIND HIM AT:
P.S.: Billy's one-of-a-kind dining haven Nobelhart & Schmutzig is also part of the GreenMe Berlin Map.