LITTLE SUN: CHANGING THE WORLD WITH SOLAR ART
„Everything is connected. We are living on the same planet all together - and we need to make it work" - Felix Hallwachs, Little Sun
After a little summer break we’re back with a brand new episode. And I'm 100% sure that it’s going to switch on your inner light and belief in the good people in this world! Claudi sat down with Felix Hallwachs, Managing Director of a beautiful social startup called Little Sun (@ilovelittlesun).
QUESTIONS TACKLED IN THIS EPISODE:
- How can something so simple as a tiny sun-shaped solar lamp the impact the lives of millions of people ?
- Why can micro-entrepreneurship in sub-Saharan Africa be much more powerful than financial aid?
- How can anyone of us leverage the connections we have to be part of something that matters?
- And how can we keep up our flame of motivation when things get tough?
That’s just a mini-preview of all the inspiration bombs Felix drops in this episode.
Extremely proud to present you another Berlin-based certified B-Corp with a fascinating story. If you haven’t heard of it yet, Little Sun is a social business spreading clean, affordable solar energy around the globe.
THE IMPACT OF LITTLE SUN
Just a couple of mindblowing numbers to get you into the scene: Since Little Sun started in 2012, it has sold 661,578 lamps sold worldwide, changed 1,648,386 lives off-grid, built up new opportunities for 600+ African entrepreneurs, saved an insane amount of $35,531,865 on energy expenses in off-grid households and reduced 134,572 tonnes of Co2 emissions!
That was in December 2017, so their impact has been growing even bigger since. Little Sun has also won a competition by the United Nations Development Program for access to clean energy in Senegal, launched the Little Sun Foundation and - an image that can hardly be topped in beauty - brought together artists, musicians, and activists in New York in the eve of COP23 to urge policymakers and political leaders to join the fight for climate action. Imagine 2,800 people holding up Little Sun’s, creating a collective work of art that stands for a solar-powered sunrise….. Goosebumps!
We loved chatting to Felix - he has such a bright personality, is full of integrity, radiates genuine excitement for the opportunities we have & adds exactly the right dose of humour to things - which I find is SO important to really move the needle forward and tackle the big problems out there. Plus, he’s a loving dad and shares so many personal (and emotional) insights about his journey
Felix also mentions heaps of other great impact projects AND gives some big shout outs to you guys, the listeners - including a burning question that maybe some of you could help answer in the end. So make sure to listen carefully and check out the show notes.
***Just a quick moment to remind you that you can sign up to our newsletter to not miss any future episodes. Look forward to connecting!***
IN THIS PODCAST EPISODE, YOU'LL ALSO LEARN ABOUT:
- How to leverage the contacts you already have to make an impact
- The major issue that Little Sun is trying to tackle (UN SDG)
- How the micro-entrepreneurship model of Little Sun works
- Why access to energy should be a basic human right
- The power of involving off-grid communities & understanding that we're all the same
- What’s really behind the shape of the Little Sun
- How to maximize the impact of a small budget
- The huge opportunities of today’s (social) media landscape
- The brilliance behind the „Trade not Aid“ model
- The powerful moment that made Little Sun launch their non-profit entity
- Why it’s always worth listening to the full story
- How to emotionally engage & change consumers mindset
- Which companies embrace cradle to cradle & projects fighting for clean oceans
- Felix’ top tools to stay inspired & motivated each day
...and lots of other inspiring take aways. Now, without any further ado, get ready for lots shining energy & light bulb moments with Felix Hallwachs from Little Sun
LISTEN TO IT RIGHT HERE:
LITTLE SUN - QUOTES FROM THE PODCAST
„ We want to be positive! It’s not about what you cannot do, it’s about what we can do! “
„...our reality vs. the reality of people in many other parts of the world… Let’s stop, zoom out and think about it "
„ Suddenly being good becomes a currency - and that I believe is fantastic "
„ I’m generally inspired by the fact that we somehow get this huge opportunity to do something great "
„ I think there is something in our story that is bigger and that remains to be told "
LITTLE SUN - SHOW NOTES & LINKS MENTIONED
- Connect with Felix and the Little Sun team on Facebook | Instagram | Twitter
- Little Sun Foundation
- The Beam Magazine
- Plan International (NGO)
- Frederik’s other company Solar Flight
- Bloomberg Philantropies
- Little Sun at Climate Conference in Marrakesh (COP22)
- Muhammad Yunus Book “Building Social Business”**
- Yunus Social Business Office Berlin
- The B-Corp Handbook**
- Little Sun meets IKEA
- Parley for the oceans
- Where to buy Little Sun / Shop in Berlin: Supermarché
BEFORE YOU GO
...If you took value out of this episode, please share it with your friends and leave us a short review on iTunes. Your feedback is important to make the show better and helps more people all those amazing green projects & entrepreneurs. Thanks so much for supporting us, it really means a lot!´
...GreenMe Tours: If you’re in Berlin and looking for an alternative way to explore the city while meeting some beautiful sustainable businesses & the people behind them, join one of GreenMe Kiez Tours. We’ve got public tours running every 2nd Saturday through to the end of September. So check out our next dates and join us! Would be great to have you.
...Wanna jump to the next level & learn how a world without waste, less overconsumption & more human connection could look like, check out our Circular Economy Tours.
...Lastly, if you’re a foodie and prefer to explore on your own, make sure to check out our huge Best of Vegan Brunch Guide featuring our favorite plant-based havens in Berlin & fill your bellies with vibrant nourishing food from nature… ENJOY!
That’s it! Thanks so much for listening! Now, we hope you’re hearts are lit up & you’re as excited as we are to shape a more sustainable, happier future for us & mother earth. Go out, soak in a good dose of sunshine - and remember: always be prepared to be amazed....
ARE YOU UPLIFTED BY THE APPROACH OF LITTLE SUN? MICRO-ENTREPRENEURSHIP VS. DONATIONS - WHAT CAN HAVE THE BIGGER IMPACT?
Look forward to hear your thoughts. Just share in the comments, right at the very bottom of this page